Juice is great for health but not for your baby! Let’s find out …
- Studies in recent times have now concluded that if water is harmful, juices are positively hazardous for your baby until YOUR BABY is six months old.
- Similar to water, juices will also fill up the tummy and lead to nutritional deficiencies considering that the need for breast milk or formula decreases.
- Concurrently the sugar content disturbs the electrolyte and your baby may complain of stomach cramps and diarrhoea.
- Once your baby turns six months and has begun to accept small quantities of solid food, you can also introduce juices in regulated amounts.
- The dosage is limited to 4 Oz of juice per day and this is best consumed with snacks or meals.
FEW FACTS ABOUT CO-RELATION BETWEEN JUICE AND TOOTH OF YOUR BABY
Tooth Decay Facts and Fads
The outer covering of the teeth is connoted as ‘Enamel’. This is essentially a tough and hardy covering which protects the tiny teeth of your baby from tooth decay.
The only limitation being that the enamel covering of these milk teeth is thinner as compared to adults. Thus it invariably gets destroyed if your baby feeds on juices artificially sweetened with sugar.
The fact that more than half the children suffer from some type of tooth decay is standing evidence of the fact that beverages and fizzy drinks secrete an acid which destroys the thin enamel covering of the new born and this invariably results in decay of teeth.
Cautions and Precautions
When introducing fluids to your baby it is of critical importance that you exercise restraint and caution by taking the right precautions.
When your baby is six months old, introduce fluids gradually. Ideally you could begin with a few sips followed by gradually increasing amounts.
Experts are of the opinion that offering your baby two ounces of water in 24 hours is fine. Once the baby begins eating solids, make sure that you add water to this diet as this will help prevent constipation.
Thus it could well be concluded that although the journey is not the easiest, however it is definitely the most innovative and exciting experience.
This is arguably one experience that you will continue to cherish and nurture for a lifetime.