10 Foods And Drinks That You Should Eat for a Fatty Liver
As we have discussed earlier in our blog about the fatty liver and its complications and treatment. Here we are going to discuss a few foods that you can include in your healthy diet to stay away from fatty liver issues:-\
- Avocado – Research suggests that Avocado contains chemicals that might slow liver damage. These are rich in fiber that helps to control and maintain weight.
2. Milk and Low-Fat Dairy – Dairy is high in protein that will protect the liver from further damage.
3. Oatmeal – Oatmeal is a carbohydrate from whole grains and it gives energy to your body. There is the fiber content in it which also helps in maintain the weight.
4. Coffee – Studies have shown that coffee drinkers experience less liver damage if they have fatty liver issues than those who don’t drink coffee. Caffeine lowers the number of abnormal liver enzymes in peoples who are at risk for liver diseases.
5. Fish – Fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, and trout are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids help in improving the fat levels in the liver and bring down inflammation.
6. Greens – Greens such as Broccoli prevent the buildup of fat in the liver. Eating more greens, like spinach, Brussels sprouts, will help in reducing weight as well. You can try out the Canadian Liver Foundation’s recipe for vegetarian chili. In this, you will be able to cut back calories without sacrificing the taste and flavor.
7. Walnuts – These nuts are also high in omega-3 fatty acids. It has been found in research that people with fatty liver disease ate walnuts which helped in improving the functioning of the liver.
8. Sunflower Seeds – These nutty-tasting seeds are high in Vitamin E. It is an antioxidant that protects the liver from further damage.
9. Olive oil – Olive oil is high in omega-3 and is healthier for cooking. According to the research, it has been proved that olive oil helps to lower liver enzyme levels and controls weight.
10. Garlic – This herb not only adds flavor to food but also provide supplements that help in reducing body weight and fat in people who are struggling with fatty liver disease.
Foods That You Must Avoid When You Have a Fatty Liver
There are few foods you should avoid or limit when you are facing the fatty liver disease. These foods generally contribute to weight gain and increasing blood sugar. Have a look at the following food and drinks that you must avoid are as follows:-
- Fried foods are high in fat and calories.
- Red meat such as beef and deli meats are high in saturated fat.
- Eating too much salt can make your body hold excess water.
- Alcohol is a major cause of fatty liver disease and other liver diseases also.
- Stay away from sugary foods such as cookies, candy, sodas, and fruit juices. High blood sugar increases the amount of fat in the liver.
- Avoid white bread, rice, and pasta. In this the flour is highly processed, which might raise your blood sugar.
Additional Way to Treat Liver Disease
In addition, to modify your diet, you need to make a few other lifestyle changes in order to improve your liver health:
Stay Active- Exercise, and get a planned diet, that can help you lose extra weight and improve your liver disease. Make your aim to do at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise regularly.
Control Diabetes- Diabetes and fatty liver disease often occur together but a proper diet chart and regular exercise can help you manage both conditions. If your blood sugar is still high, your doctor can prescribe medication to lower it.
Lower Cholesterol- Maintain your saturated fat and sugar intake to keep your cholesterol and triglyceride levels under control. Take a proper diet and exercise to lower your cholesterol. You can also ask your doctor about medication related to it.