There are many women who are drinking wine during pregnancy and puff on cigarettes which is very common in their daily routine. But if you are pregnant whatever you are taking inside your body affects your baby too. Smoking and drinking may severely affect the health of infants so it is important that you change your habits as soon as possible. The best time to drop your bad habits is before you are trying to get pregnant. By doing so, you can reduce the risk to your child if you instantly kick these bad habits.
Does Even a Sip of Alcohol Count During Your Pregnancy?
Research shows that occasional drinking may also be harmful to your baby, hence you must resist the urge to take a small sip of wine also. It has been found that if women consume wine as less as one drinks in a week was about three times harmful than a nondrinker to have a child. Your child might get diagnosed with behavioral patterns such as aggression and difficulty in paying attention. In a number of studies, it has been found that children are found to have an increased risk of learning problems and decreased IQ later on when they grow.
How Smoking Can Affect Your Infant?
As we all are aware that cigarettes are quite harmful to the infant as well as pregnant women. Smoking nearly doubles the risk of having a low weight of your baby which may cause serious health problems and even death are found more in such cases. But the best thing is this that if you plan to quit your pregnancy in the mid also then you might avoid its effects on your baby. Even in the late pregnancy period if you quit smoking then you increase the weight of your baby but less than the weight of the baby whose mother has never smoked.
Why And How Your Need to Quit Smoking During Pregnancy
If you try to quit smoking or at least stop smoking around your pregnant lady or partner, then you will find that your baby:
- Is less likely to die from SUDI,
- Will not get middle ear infections or have permanent hearing issues,
- Not get breathing issues like pneumonia and asthma,
- Will feel healthy,
Your health and your partner’s health will also be benefitted as well.
Why Smoking is Harmful After Birth of the Child As Well?
Once your baby is born then also you need to stay smoke-free if you want your baby to remain healthy. If you keep your baby in the environment of smoke then they are exposed to respiratory illnesses, ear infections, and asthma than other babies. The mothers who smoke, their babies are 38 percent more likely to be hospitalized for the treatment of pneumonia during their first year of life than the babies of nonsmoking mothers.
What are the Risks of Smoking During Pregnancy?
- Smokers who are pregnant have a higher chance of having a miscarriage.
- Smoking mothers have higher chances of delivering born too early and too small.
- Low-birth-weight babies who are less than 5 ½ pounds may suffer serious health problems throughout their lives.
- Such babies are exposed to smoke twice and are likely to die from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
What are the Things that you can do to Quit Alcohol During Pregnancy?
- If you are smoking then you must think about your health as well as of your baby. You can counsel a specialist to get rid of such bad habits.
- You must keep the environment of your baby smoke-free, before and after birth.
- If your partner smokes or drinks beer during pregnancy then ask for support as to how to quit it.
For more information, you can read our detailed blogs in the Motherhood care blog section. We have provided information related to health, infant and pregnancy, etc.