IVF – What does it mean?
Having problems getting pregnant? Well, here’s an easy solution to develop pregnancy and have a healthy child. IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is an amazing medical procedure which takes you through assisted reproductive technology and helps you to become pregnant. The term “in vitro” refers to a process that is performed in a culture dish, test tube, or anywhere else outside living organisms. Its cost-efficient fertility techniques, latest methods and advanced medical formulations allow you to become a happy mother.
In a normal pregnancy, your partner’s sperm and your egg fertilize in your body. The fertilized egg gets attached to the lining of the womb, which is then known as the fetus. The fetus starts growing and after 9 months, it forms a child. However, due to various issues like problems in your fallopian tube, lower ovarian reserve, male infertility, and premature ovarian failure; you face difficulty in being pregnant. IVF addresses to all such concerns and makes you successfully pregnant, in just two weeks of time.
How does it work? fertility treatment steps
IVF is the best solution for those who face difficulty in getting pregnant. Typically, an IVF fertility treatment steps comprise of 4 steps:
Stage 1: Induction of Ovulation
Before beginning the treatment as well as while conducting the process, your IVF specialist will first check your ovaries and determine the time of egg release. Then they will ensure normal hormone levels and egg-producing ovaries. At the initial stage, the fertility experts also suggest hormones or fertility medicines so that your ovaries produce one or more eggs. More the number of eggs more will be the chances of getting pregnant through IVF. In case you are unable to produce eggs, speak to your IVF doctor about getting donor eggs for the treatment.
Stage 2: Collecting Eggs
In the second stage, you will receive certain medications which will reduce pain and another discomfort, if any. After this, fertility surgeons use a very thin needle and insert it through your upper vaginal wall. Under gentle suction of vaginal ultrasound, fluid is removed from your follicles and the oocyte (egg) is separated from the fluid. Post isolation, the fertility specialists place your egg in a culture dish that contains nutrient media and transfers it into the incubator.
Stage 3: Fertilization
In the very next step, IVF experts secure a sperm sample, from your partner or a donor. Of all the samples, they select the most active sperm and mix it with your egg, in a medical chamber. Often, the doctors directly inject the sperm into the egg. The entire IVF team place the sperm and the egg in the incubator and monitor the fertilization process until the development of a healthy embryo.
Stage 4: Implanting & Transferring Embryo
This is the final stage where your embryo gets transferred. Again the experts check the embryos and select the healthiest ones, which are transferred. And to make this happen, they place a speculum within your vagina and the embryo(s) move through a small plastic tube (placed in the cervix) and finally reaches the uterine cavity. With this, the entire IVF process comes to an end. In most cases, women are advised to have 24 hours bed rest, after undergoing IVF treatment.
Interesting Facts about IVF
Here is some interesting information about In Vitro Fertilization that will surely blow your mind:
- In 2006, Rajo Devi Lohan became the world’s oldest mother to have twin boys, through IVF. She was then 66.
- Music has a higher impact on the fertilization rate. Irrespective of any musical genre, embryos which are constantly subjected to music, yields greater fertility.
- IVF has excellent ivf success rates, especially if you are below 40. Women below 35 yrs enjoy a 50% chance of success. As for the above 40s group, the success rates go down to 16%.
- Research confirms that 1 in 8 couples around the world has problems getting pregnant and maintaining pregnancy.
- Infertility is a common problem for both men and women. In many cases, both partners can have infertility issues.
- Parents undergoing IVF must sleep for 7-8 hours a day. Inadequate or excess sleep can lower fertility chances by 10%.
Till What Extent Does IVF Solve Your Purpose?
IVF serves as an ideal solution to overcome your pregnancy barriers. Women above 40 can also hope for success, thanks to modern IVF methods. However, IVF can also develop multiple pregnancies within your body and according to research, 20% to 30% of IVF cycles face this risk. In rare cases, IVF can bring potential risks of miscarriage, premature birth, necessary cesarian, stillbirth and other health problems of the newborn. Thus, before you opt for the treatment, you and your partner must be ready for the best and the worst circumstances (chances of which are quite less).
How You Benefit from IVF and
- Compared to other infertility treatments, IVF delivers the best solution. IVF is the ultimate answer to all issues associated with infertility like blocked fallopian tubes, reduced ovarian reserve at a matured age, and male infertility, among others.
- Whether you are a mother, a surrogate or gestational carrier; IVF shall work effectively. Besides couples, single women and same-sex couples can also opt for IVF technology, and get the joy of having a healthy child.
- The best advantage is that even if you or your partner is unable to produce egg or sperm,
- IVF works wonders even with donated eggs or sperms. IVF experts manually fertilize eggs within the clinics and form a viable embryo, which they use for the IVF procedure.
- Even if you are career-focused or have time constraints, you can opt for IVF. It allows you to control over timing and with the help of fertility experts, you can devise the correct time to have your babe.
What are the Drawbacks of IVF?
- Firstly, during the course of medical treatment, you need to take injections for a continuous period of 10 to 12 days. This can bring slight pain and discomfort; however, it’s only a matter of a few days.
- Modern IVF processes demand a handsome amount of money. Fertility treatment cost in India is cheaper than other countries.Thus, you and your partner need to be financially sound and prepared to bear all the ivf treatment cost.
- Those who suffer from Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome (OHSS), they can face the risk of having multiple pregnancies.
What are the Necessary Safeguards for conducting IVF?
For conducting a successful IVF treatment, you must ensure the following:
- The IVF centres must be well equipped with state-of-the-art IVF labs where the fertility experts work in close collaboration with the embryologists and other medical staff.
- During the treatment process, if anyone including nurses, embryologists and anesthesiologists talk with the candidate, will authenticate the patient’s identity during retrieval and transfer.
- Post collection and before fertilization, the IVF specialists should confirm the identity of your partner or the sperm donor. At the same time, they also reconfirm your identity, to be completely sure.